Sunday, January 15, 2012

The quest for Obedience

Creston, BC is a quaint little town located in the Kootenay region of BC. It has a population of approximately 5,000 people with the average age sitting around 54. Home to the Columbia Brewery and Kokanee Beer, it is a beautiful place to live.
Much to my dismay, as a dog owner and lover, the town has no dog parks, and no local dog trainer. When we first moved here, I was at a loss - where do I walk my dog? What do you mean there are no dog trainers, how do I continue with Buster's agility training?
As time passed, Buster and I stumbled upon many little trails and walking areas that suited us just fine. The local animal shelter started hosting agility classes once a week this past spring, although we didn't participate that year.
Then came Hunter - 34kgs of uncontrolled, pent-up, driven energy, and with no clue where to even start, I panicked. I searched high and low and finally found a dog trainer who taught obedience training in Nelson, BC.
The drive to Nelson usually takes about an hour and half (on a good day), but does involve driving over the Kootenay Pass. The Kootenay Pass is one of the highest highway-served passes in Canada that is open year-round, and although it is brilliantly maintained by it's crew, it can be a bit daunting for someone born and raised in the Lower Mainland.
On Sunday the 8th of January I packed Hunter, and all my gear in the truck and we headed for our first obedience class. After realizing halfway there that my GPS had no IDEA where Blewett Rd. was (and having a small meltdown on my husband, which I still am very embarrassed about), the highway being closed for avalanch control (setting us back 30 minutes) and having never driven in Nelson before in my life, we arrived to class.......45 minutes late.
Needless to say, Hunter did not learn all he needed to learn to become a beautifully respectable dog in the 15 minutes of class we participated in. But we did meet our amazing obedience instructor, and went home with plenty of tips, handouts, and a starting point!


~~~~~~~~~~~


Today, leaving 30 minutes earlier than needed, I packed Hunter, my treats, my clicker, his bed, his toy and water into the truck and we headed off to tackle the Kootenay Pass again. Now knowing where I was to go, I didn't turn to GPS, and the highway was clear and beautiful the whole way across. We arrived at class (45 minutes early this time, but hey, who's complaining) and ready to learn!
Being early was a blessing in disguise. It gave me a chance to let Hunter explore and get comfortable in the room (the gym of an elementary school). After a brief 'moment' with our instructor (Hunter barking uncontrollably at her for 15 minutes straight), we settled in for class.
I was worried at first, as Hunter was very reactive to each and every dog as they came into class. Luckily, with my tasty chicken treats, I was able to capture his attention and we set off to work.
Hunter was brilliant with his mat work. Having been crate trained since he was 8 weeks old, he enjoys having a designated 'space' to lie down and feel comfortable. So we looked like superstars working on his mat work. He knows the cue "mat" already, and reliably goes to his mat and lies down when told to. As the week continues, I hope to gain some duration on his mat cue, so that I can (eventually) have a dog who while lie quiety on his mat when guests arrive at the house or when I am cooking super. For now, we'll just go slow!
Next, we worked on targetting. I have been working with the dogs at home on their targetting already and they both know that when a flat hand is presented to them they are to touch it with their nose. Hunter is still working at very short distances with his target, whereas Buster LOVES this game. You can hold the palm of your hand at your chest and he will leap to touch it with his slimy nose, eager to get his treat. Buster is also a piglet.....but that's beside the point.
After some work on his sit ("seitz" is Hunter's German command), which is a bit rusty, the class was over!
I was shocked and very impressed with how Hunter handled himself. He is a very attentive dog, which I think will work to my benefit, as long as I can keep him from zoning in on the other dogs.
I am hoping that when he is neutered this will come easier to him (police dogs are never altered unless there is a medical reason to do so, therefore Hunter was not neutered when he came to live with me. This will change very soon, trust me.)
Can't wait to continue working on Hunter's skills this week and show them off at next Sunday's class!

1 comment:

  1. Chris needs to make sure he's got that Kootney Pass all plowed and ready to go for you hahaha

    ReplyDelete