Monday, January 16, 2012

Karen Pryor Academy for Animal Training & Behavior (KPA)

In February of 2011 I was fortunate enough to be able to travel to Las Vegas, NV to attend the Western Veterinary Conference for that year. As a newer RAHT, this was the first big conference I had ever attended, and I was not disappointed. I sat in countless lectures a day, listening to remarkable speakers lecture on the new and improved approaches to anesthesia, medicine, patient care, you name it!
The one speaker who stood out above the crowd was a woman who was lecturing on canine behaviour that day. She was a brilliant speaker and truly captivated the entire audience. At the end of her lecture, she would always put up a slide with the logo for the Karen Pryor Academy. I'd never heard of the academy, but this speaker was so compelling that I decided to check it out; and was I impressed!
During my two years in Technician school, we took four semesters of Animal Behavior Classes. Although one of the easier classes, I was always astounished as to how complex the canine communication system was, and blown away that animals could learn numerous different things so quickly.
During school we employed the method of 'clicker training' when working with our dogs (and cats). Clicker training is a positive reinforcement based system of training animals. When the animal performs the behaviour you want, you mark that exact behavior (using your clicker) and reward them for it. If the animal performs a behavior you don't want, you simply ignore it. Training using this system results in a dog who learns more behaviors, in a shorter time frame, and develops a dog who is EAGER to learn and loves training sessions.
I can personally atest to this, as when my dogs see the clicker come out, or hear me working the clicker with the another dog, they go bonkers! Hunter personally delivers the clicker to me, in the bedroom or when I'm at the computer to say "Let's go lady, it's training time."

I took a little exerpt from Karen Pryor's website for her academy to better describe what she is all about and what her academy is about:

"Karen Pryor is a pioneer in the development of force-free training methods, and one of the leading proponents of operant conditioning. Karen continues to have an enormous influence in the animal training field, and is much admired for her influential body of work and generous spirit.
Karen Pryor's vision was for an institution that harnessed the knowledge and practices of outstanding trainers she knew and respected. As a result, Karen Pryor Academy's curriculum reflects a unique collaboration between the academy and many accomplished trainers who share a common philosophy, and have applied their skills and gained their experience in a variety of contexts. Karen Pryor Academy's advisors actively contribute to the academy's development. Many are also members of the academy's faculty."

So, after listening to this incredible speaker at the WVC, and with my background of animal behavior from Tech. school I realized that this was something that I was really passionate about, but really had a very narrow understanding of; and I wanted to learn more!
I came home from the conference, packed full of knowledge and ideas, and with Karen Pryor sitting in the front of my mind. I told my husband all about this marvelous program, how it could help shape me into a brilliant dog trainer and I could pursue my dream....and then he asked the infamous question "How much Vanessa?"
Well, Karen Pryor's Program is not cheap. It is a 6 month program that involves course work at home, and then my dog and I travelling to our location of choice for a four weekends of hands-on training. The price tag is a four figured one.
I didn't forget about Karen Pryor, actually I bought a few of her books and read them with zest, wanting to know more about who she was and what she had accomplished in the world of animal behaviour (quite honestly I believe she is a genius).
When I decided to quit my job in the fall, Karen Pryor resurfaced to the front of my mind. Maybe this was all happening for a reason? Maybe this is what I'm supposed to do - complete this program and involve myself in the world of canine behavior? After many indepth conversations with my husband about it, he told me that this was my dream, the timing worked perfect and we could afford it, so why was I still thinking about it?
And so, with trembling fingers, I applied for the academy.
I had to send in an application along with two references, who they would contact to find out more about me. After the application was processed, I would have to go through an interview (on the phone) and then wait to hear the results.
Lone behold, towards the end of 2011 I found out that I had been accepted in the Karen Pryor Academy for Animal Training & Behavior.
I was estatic. This was exactly what I needed, I was going to pursue a dream! It couldn't have come at a better time, either. With work being sporadic and distant, I was struggling. I missed my husband and dog immensely, and while I enjoyed each and everyone of the locums I completed, I was not happy. I needed to be home,  needed something to stimulate me and to immerse all of my energy into.
On January 7th, 2012 I officially paid my tuition and was enrolled in KPA. I have started the online work from home and am so far learning about clicker training, how it was developed and the role it plays in dog training today. I am loving it!
Everyday I spend several hours going through the lessons and taking detailed notes, and then during breaks I have clicker training sessions with Buster and Hunter. It compliments Hunter's obedience lessons perfectly, as our instructor is a KPA graduate, and took her workshops with the same instructor that I will be going to!
As excited as I am about this amazing opportunity and this 'fork in the road' that I have chosen to go down, I am definetely nervous and unsure. What if I'm so far behind the other students and look like a fool? What if I don't graduate - how embarassing that will be. What if I do graduate but can't make it as a dog trainer?
All these questions are floating around my head, but I try not to think that way. I am doing something that I love and am passionate about, and I know that I am a smart person and a very hard-worker. If I set my mind to something, I will do the best that I can, and that is all that I can ask of myself....right?
As for the dogs, well I am blessed to have two pretty smart boys here. They are both learning at different paces, and one excels at different tasks than the other, but they seem to enjoy working with me.
The current dilemma....who comes with my to the workshops? Hunter or Buster? Young vs. Old reliable?


1 comment: